Wednesday, December 8, 2010

YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS MEANS

You have no idea what this means…”

By Colleen Morgan-Hobbs

My fingers were frozen with leather gloves on, and the serving gloves offered no more warmth when we served at Roselawn a week ago. We did our usual meals there and loaded the truck for our weekly trip to the levee to see the guys there and offer them a warm breakfast. The numbers were lower and with the weather so cold, we think they just don’t come out sometimes.

I saw Dave and asked him if there was anything I could pray with him for. He said he wanted a one way ticket to Michigan to go home. I asked around and found there isn’t money available to help these guys like that, and sadly, there isn’t anything that can be done. I took his name and number wishing I had the means to help, but I am working part time and just don’t have the money. I prayed with him that the Lord would provide the money he needed.



Dave came down to work for BP in the beach cleanup and there were needed certifications he needed that somehow he could not get and he ended up homeless and broke.

When I got home from work later I posted on Facebook to pray for a man named Dave who wanted a one way ticket home to Michigan. My nephew Kenneth called and left me a message that he wanted to help the guy. I was thrilled! I gave Kenneth his number and he called him and told him he was ‘going home’. That man cried. Kenneth cried. I cried. I was crying out of happiness.

Friday morning Kenneth and I met David on the levee and his eyes welled up and he kept asking, “do you know what you have done?” We packed him a care package with sandwiches, chips, candy and water and bought him a throw to cover up with on the bus, and a pillow. The thankfulness flowed out of David. We went to the bus station, Kenneth purchased the ticket and gave him $16.00 for meals. We were in the middle of the bus station talking and we started sharing the Gospel with him, the plan of salvation and I asked him if he had ever asked Jesus into his heart and he said no, but that he wanted to “right now”. We three stood in the bus station holding hands and he prayed after me. He then told us he was an identical twin and that his brother was going to be baptized in two weeks. We encouraged him to pursue it!

I went on to work and Kenneth stayed with Dave for 3 ½ hours at the bus station until he left. In the meantime they spoke to another homeless man named Richard who wanted to go home to Mississippi. My wonderful 24 year old nephew got him a ticket and he left too.

Dealing with the homeless is particularly precious to me right now because my own son Sean is homeless and living in a truck. He lost his job, is on probation and has a warrant for his arrest. He is open to going into a program but wants to go in “after Christmas”. He is 20, and I can only pray for him and suggest the way to go. Undoubtedly there are similar circumstances in some of these guys we deal with, but one thing I know…offering food and something to drink, praying with them and trying to meet their needs is being Jesus to them. All of this is done in hopes of having them turn their life over to Christ, recognizing Him as Savior and hopefully steering them in the right direction while showing love from Jesus. “God’s Kindness leads to repentence”…Romans 2:4

Leo wants to go home to Houston... anyone want to bless him?

No comments:

Post a Comment