Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Words From a First Time Volunteer


I have worked downtown for the last 15 years and have been running on the levee for the last 6-7 years. I started talking to Phil and Marlene (the king and queen of the homeless community downtown) and got to know them and others (Sandra) pretty well. I followed their ups and downs, what they feared, their good times and their way of life. It never failed to break my heart after talking to them. I tried to help, but, how do you help someone who has decided that living in an abandoned septic tank is what they want? I recently went thru a very trying and negative professional experience. Shortly after, I was down on the levee and went to visit with Phil and Marlene. They had heard about my problems and asked if I was ok. Can you imagine? I told them that I had my wife, kids, health and faith and that things could certainly be worse, I could be living on the river. I said it before I thought about who I was talking to, a very insensitive comment. Well, Marlene, said "What are you talking about Tommy, we aren't the ones who were in the newspaper?". In any event, they will tell you that they like their lifestyle, but, I think they really can’t if truth be told, but, have convinced themselves it is a hassle free life.


Marlene told me that the best thing that anyone does for them is the breakfast program from Healing Place Church. I had tried giving them jobs, food, coupons, clothes etc., but they really dig the breakfast. I mentioned the church to my friend Chad Dudley, who referred me to his friend Kiva who gave me Pastor Craig's info. I met Craig at coffee and he and I hit it off pretty quickly, I had just cut all my hair off and he being a former hairdresser seemed perplexed by that, plus he likes to fish. He told me to be there at 7 on Thursday.

I showed up at Roselawn at 7 last Thursday, the first person I met was Jerry who has a great sense of humor. Then I met Jordan, Julie and then Frank and then Pastor Craig showed up to join us. We fed between 40-50 folks there at Roselawn and I had the opportunity to talk to several of them. Interesting people, some nice, some gruff, but all very appreciative of a good breakfast and a kind word. After a short Bible study, we loaded up and I rode with Frank to do the "roaming". We fed folks at the levee, where Phil and Marlene were surprised to see me, Sandra near Govt. St. and approximately 25 folks under the new North Blvd. overpass.

The most heartbreaking experience of the day was seeing a lady who had obviously been severely beaten and who was probably being pimped out. Some folks in our group succeeded in getting her to come with us and hopefully she got better medical care. It is a very thin line between helping these people and actively getting involved in their situations. It also appears to be a very thin line between being homeless and having a job, house, kids, wife and picket fence. There but for the grace of God goes me.

See you Thursday.

Tommy

No comments:

Post a Comment